Change of Sanitation Schedule Effective Week of Veteran's Day Holiday
Change of Pick-up for Town of Halifax Solid Waste & Recycling Customers
EFFECTIVE WEEK OF VETERAN’S DAY HOLIDAY
November 5, 2018
To All Town of Halifax Customers:
Halifax Town Hall will be closed on Monday November 12th in observance of Veteran’s Day. Please be aware that the Town of Halifax will be picking up recyclables on Friday November 16th due to the modified Holiday schedule. The regular town curbside recycling pick up will resume Wednesday November 28th after the Thanksgiving Holiday modified schedule. During the modified holiday schedule, town residents may take their properly prepared recyclable materials (see guidelines for curbside pick-up below), to the large bins provided at the Blue Ridge Regional Jail lower parking lot which now accepts co-mingled newspaper (including mixed paper), plastic (#1 & #2), cardboard, cans (aluminum & metal) and mixed consumer glass (clear, green & brown). When recycling glass at the Convenience Center site, PLEASE PLACE THE GLASS DIRECTLY INTO THE BIN WITH NO BAGS-this will keep the glass free of contaminants so that sorting will not be necessary.
The Town of Halifax Solid Waste Department will conduct its solid waste pick-up the week of Veteran’s Day on a modified schedule:
- Monday November 12 - The Town of Halifax will be closed in observance of Veteran’s Day.
- Tuesday November 13 – Residents normally served on this day will have solid waste picked up. This area includes properties along US Hwy 501 south from the RR Tracks to the corporate limits, Spencer Lane Golf Course Road, Brook Run, Cowford Road, Meadow Drive, Banister Road, Gatha’s Trail and Ballou Trail.
- Wednesday November 14 – Residents normally served on Monday will have solid waste picked up. This area includes Mountain Road, Canterbury Drive, Woodview Road, Mimosa Drive, Oak Lane, Pine Road, Ash Street, Cedar Lane, Poplar Lane, Crawford Road, Academy Street, Ballpark Loop (within corporate limits), Craddock Street, Houston Street and Main Street (from Mountain Road south to the RR Tracks).
- Thursday November 15 – Residents normally served on this day will have solid waste picked up. This area includes Maple Avenue, Buena Vista Drive, Park Lane, Lakeside Drive, Harding Street, Snead Lane, Cary Street, Elam Street, Hedderly Street, Jackson Street, Back Street, Main Street (from Mountain Road north on US Hwy 501 and east on VA Hwy 360 to the corporate limits).
- Friday November 16 – The Town of Halifax Solid Waste Department will conduct curbside recycling on this day and will resume regular weekly curbside recycling on Wednesday November 28th after the Thanksgiving Holiday modified week schedule.
Guidelines for Preparing Curbside Recyclables
(follow thoroughly & do not co-mingle trash items or service may be suspended)
Metals -- Aluminum Cans (rinsed if possible) Plastics -- Milk, soda, water bottles, detergent
Metal Cans (rinsed - labels may be left on) jugs (look for #1 & #2 on bottom) rinse, remove caps
Newspaper -- Clean and dry Cardboard -- Flatten boxes, no waxed cardboard, (anything in the newspaper when you remove plastic bags, styrofoam or packing “peanuts”
receive it can be recycled)
Mixed Paper -- Junk mail, cereal boxes, Glass -- clear, green & brown; EMPTIED, RINSED, LIDS magazines, phone books, etc. REMOVED, NO BROKEN GLASS-in plastic bag on top