Change in Sanitation & Recycle Schedule Due to July 4th Holiday
TOWN OF HALIFAX, VIRGINIA
Sanitation & Recycling Department
70 South Main Street, Post Office Box 627
Halifax, Virginia 24558
IMPORTANT PUBLIC SERVICE ANNOUNCEMENT
EFFECTIVE WEEK OF JULY 4TH HOLIDAY
June 26, 2017
To All Town of Halifax Customers:
Halifax Town Hall will be closed on Monday July 3rd and Tuesday July 4th in observance of Independence Day. Please be aware that the Town of Halifax will not be picking up recyclables on Wednesday July 5th due to the modified Holiday schedule. The regular town curbside recycling pick up will resume Wednesday July 12th as customary. During the modified holiday schedule, town residents may take their properly prepared recyclable materials (see guidelines for curbside pick-up below), to the large bins provided at the Blue Ridge Regional Jail lower parking lot which now accepts co-mingled newspaper (including mixed paper), plastic (#1 & #2), cardboard, cans (aluminum & metal) and mixed consumer glass (clear, green & brown). When recycling glass at the Convenience Center site, PLEASE PLACE THE GLASS DIRECTLY INTO THE BIN WITH NO BAGS-this will keep the glass free of contaminants so that sorting will not be necessary.
The Town of Halifax Solid Waste Department will conduct its solid waste pick-up the week of Independence Day on a modified schedule:
- Monday July 3 – The Town of Halifax will be closed for the July 4th
- Tuesday July 4 – The Town of Halifax will be closed for the July 4th
- Wednesday July 5 – Residents normally served on Monday will have solid waste picked up. This area includes Mountain Road, Canterbury Drive, Woodview Road, Mimosa Drive, Oak Lane, Pine Road, Ash Street, Cedar Lane, Poplar Lane, Crawford Road, Academy Street, Ballpark Loop (within corporate limits), Craddock Street, Houston Street and Main Street (from Mountain Road south to the RR Tracks).
- Thursday July 6 - Residents normally served on Thursday will have solid waste picked up. This area includes Maple Avenue, Buena Vista Drive, Park Lane, Lakeside Drive, Harding Street, Snead Lane, Cary Street, Elam Street, Hedderly Street, Jackson Street, Back Street, Main Street (from Mountain Road north on US Hwy 501 and east on VA Hwy 360 to the corporate limits).
- Friday July 7 – Residents normally served on Tuesday will have solid waste picked up. This area includes properties along US Hwy 501 south from the RR Tracks to the corporate limits, Spencer Lane, Golf Course Road, Brook Run, Cowford Road, Meadow Drive, Banister Road, Gatha’s Trail and Ballou Trail.
- The Town of Halifax Solid Waste Department will resume regular weekly curbside recycling on Wednesday July 12th.
Guidelines for Preparing Curbside Recyclables
(follow thoroughly & do not co-mingle trash items or service may be suspended)
Metals -- Aluminum Cans (rinsed if possible) Plastics -- Milk, soda, water bottles, detergent
Metal Cans (rinsed - labels may be left on) jugs (look for #1 & #2 on bottom) rinse, remove caps
Newspaper -- Clean and dry Cardboard -- Flatten boxes, no waxed cardboard, (anything in the newspaper when you remove plastic bags, styrofoam or packing “peanuts”
receive it can be recycled)
Mixed Paper -- Junk mail, cereal boxes, Glass -- clear, green & brown; EMPTIED, RINSED, LIDS magazines, phone books, etc. REMOVED, NO BROKEN GLASS-in plastic bag on top